Sunday, January 10, 2010

An Elusive Critter

Ahh. The work was all done for the day, supper fixed and settling down with the computer to read a book a friend has started.

A wonderful start to what I feel may come to publish in the future. I am lost back in the 1800 era traveling from Chapmanville, Virginia on my way to Denver, Colorado. My stagecoach is coming to rest in Missouri and then is when it happened!!

Something landed to the right side of the computer just visible by my peripheral vision. Of course my head snapped to that general area. Something was there. Followed shortly by Joey and a cat. All things just came to a halt except Joey getting some gloves on to catch this visitor.

When he brought it to me I have to admit that I was stunned at first. Then stunned gave way to shock I think. We were debating about what this thing was. It is funny because I am usually pretty good about all critters. I think the best way to describe how I was feeling would be to see a U.F.O. and then look at the one you are with and ask if you really just seen what you saw.

What we had IN our house to me was the equivalent of a U.F.O. I had heard of them but NEVER in 40 years seen one. I have spent alot of my life outdoors and this was like finding a relic from the past that my mind could not concieve.

Was it a rat? A bigger than usual mouse? A squirril? Ahh-Ha!!! It WAS a squirrel. A Southern Flying Squirril!!! I had NEVER had the pleasure of seeing one of these other than pictures. If I knew how to put pictures on this thing I would put a neat one from the internet on here. (I need computer 101) If you Google Flying Squirril there are some cute pictures of this VERY interesting creature.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! I can post a picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry!
    Very interesting site! If you're wondering who I am, it's me from newbie writers. One question - how do you get the cool widgit of fish in the sidebar? I want one too! :-)
    Florence
    http://marybonny.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well. When I Googled Chinquapin Ridge I got Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, Maryland, and then I saw Virginia. When I read about the stagecoach, I imagined blustery songs, tall steeples and sportive foals slicing through the lucious bluegrass. Thank you for your kinds words.

    ReplyDelete