Sunday, January 10, 2010

Elusive Critter Part II


For instance, did you know these little things can glide the length of a football field from a starting point of only 100' high!! That is amazing to me. They ARE nocturnal therefore the big eyes. (that are cute too) Some scientists think that they can use some of their voice compared but NOT equal to a bats echolocation. They don't hear the same as bats though. They steer their glide with their tail. They do go dormant in the winter for several days at a time during bad weather. And another interesting thing is that they are mainly vegetarian but the will eat bird eggs, bugs, and even baby birds if they get hungry enough.
They are very common but isn't it interesting that hardly anyone EVER sees one? All in all I am glad to have met this little wonder of God. Now when I go out in the dark I can feel BIG beady eyes watching me and they probably entertain themselves watching us stumble around visually compromised.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Native, lol great read! Little flying squirrels are so cute. I rememeber one time when I was young(lol) we were cutting trees for firewood and there was a flying squirrel nest in the tree. I remember dad catching the babies that didnt even have their eyes open and putting them in a hole in another tree and the momma went right in to them. She stood at the opening and chastised us for destroying her home but went about tending to her young.
    Keep writing, I enjoy the read.

    stella

    ReplyDelete