Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Wind Died

Woke up this morning after a strange illness and the first thing I noticed was NO WIND. Not even a pine needle is stirring. It has been really rough here since our little snow event Saturday. Very cold and wind gusts in the 35-40 range. Yesterday it was about 10 degrees and the wind was still whipping. Watering was a real chore. When you have to use a homemade digging bar that was fashioned from a model T Ford axle to bust the ice its bad. I did that three times yesterday for the animals water. On one particular downward motion the bar broke through and water splashed all over the front of my jacket and of course in my face. The water froze as soon as it hit my coat. Some of the water went up the bar itself and instantly froze my jersey gloves to it so hard that some threads were pulled from the gloves as I was peeling my grip away from it. Now thats cold.

That little illness thing was stange to me. Monday night I was feeling like I may be catching a cold. No big deal.Then Tuesday morning I woke with a real bad toothache on my left side. I do have a tooth that needs yanked but then again I am procrastinating (also cant afford it right now). I am going to say about 12 noon I came inside to eat some dinner and the pain had went away a little from the tooth but it seemed like it had moved to under my jaw. I just figured that where I had been out in the cold so long that that had relieved the pain some and my jaw was just left sore. After eating went down to check on my Mom and came on back to the house and noticed I was kinda swelled on the left side of my neck. Not long after i started feeling flu like symptoms. I got weak as pond water and kinda sick to my stomach and began running a slight fever. I went ahead and finished all the evening chores and fixed supper. I thought I would never get done with the work yesterday evening I was feeling so bad. I guess I probably went to sleep about 8 or so and woke up at 1 to shake the grates and add wood in the stove. I had been sweating like a dog in my sleep. I figure the temperature I was running must have broke. When I woke this morning my hair pillows and even the sheets were soaking wet and I was cold of course from being damp but I do feel like I am going to have a good day. As I said when I did wake I felt big time relief that the wind had laid so that helped my spirit even more.

My oldest son Jesse got home from college last night for Christmas vacation so I dont know what he will do today. There is always wood to carry ;). I do know I have to do some repairs from wind damage. Get everything back in order for the next spell. It is supposed to get warmer as the week and weekend progresses and then turn out cold again next week. We will just have to see. :)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better Terry. Toothaches can be painful. Take good care of yourself. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen. I am fine of course but it was wierd to me how all those things seem to go together. Behave yerself and keep in touch. ~Terry

    ReplyDelete