Saturday, November 6, 2010

Yesterdays Results

It was an odd weather day for sure. It stayed damp old and windy most of the morning and then it began to sprinkle. A little later the sprinkle turned to sleet. The sun came out and then it snowed and a cool surprise was lightning. Had about everything yesterday. On the way back up with the hay for evening feeding I guess it was "kind of" neat in the snow. Soon my nostalgic feeling turned to remembrance of last winter. (not good)

I was able to get all the bedding squared away. Everybody should have felt a bit warmer this morning. I know the hogs are doing much better because I built a platform from a pallet and plywood over that for a much better sleeping arrangement. I threw what waste hay the goats had left and several bags of leaves in there and once they ate what they wanted to I topped it off with hay again. Went out early this morning and they were both curled up in there sleeping like warm pigs. In the course of the night they had taken what was left of the hay and leaves and made a perfect nest to curl up in. I am going to put some more in there as hogs love to burrow down in hay or whatever they have to conserve their heat. The warmer you can keep them the more feed goes to bringing on weight than being burnt up for staying warm.

It is 28 degrees this morning and of course a very heavy frost. Joey got up at 6:30 so he could get ready to go do some deer hunting. At least the wind aint blowing. I hope he does get one. He sure has been practicing with that bow. I for one could never get into bow hunting. It takes lots and lots of time to get all of that figured out.

2 comments:

  1. Gosh yall sure got a mixed bag, weather wise. Ours here has been pretty odd too, but we haven't had the sleet or snow...yet! Good to hear you have all your creatures fixed up with warm bedding. Just looked @ their pictures again, this morning, and they all look to be content, happy creatures...just shows how well you treat them, know it can be hard work, but so rewarding @ the same time! Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,
    Its good to read up on yer side of the world. My my yer weather is a far cry from our weather. Our temps have been in the lower to mid 70's fer our highs and nights have been lower 40's. The days have been real pleasant.

    Yer critters are beautiful. They look like they have the good life.

    I hope Joey got his deer. It sure would be great to have more meat in the freezer. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete