Friday, November 5, 2010

Can You Believe Its November?

Sitting here this morning having some coffee I realized........ DANG... Its November!!! DUH? You Think? I was sitting here coming up with a plan about putting deeper bedding in for the goats and the hogs and checking my windscreens at the chickens so they dont get blown off the mountain. The news came on and then I heard High 40s today and Low 30s with a chance of............SNOW........... in the west side of the mountains on the Blue Ridge part of the Appalachians. I dont think it will get here but hey it was a wake up call.

So the plan is to get out the blower and rake to gather as much leaves and pine needles as possible for bedding. I have already done this once but hey its free natural bedding. You cant beat it. Everytime I put in in for the critters they have a great time going through and eating little morsels that agree with their taste for the day. Its a total win win situation. I also chop up some leaves etc and pile them in with the compost for the spring. Its great stuff provided to us so we might as well make great use for it. Dont you think??


After I am done with that today, I need to do something with my buckets of fencing tools and other things from around my stove so I can build the first fire of the season. What you dont have buckets with bucket buddies on them stuffed with various tools around your woodstove?? Well us hillbillies do. I know where my particular tools are at that way. Well not really. My kids like to "borrow" one or two and somehow they never make it back.

I started a big pot of beans this morning also. I figure they will be good after spending time in the coolness today. I plan on making some cornbread also this evening to finish it off. The older beans get the better they are in my opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Terry, Gosh when you update your blog, you really do, lol, and it sure looks so nice, an thank you for keeping your fishes, I like to feed them when stop by to visit! Sounds like yall are awful busy getting your farm creatures ready for the winter, and to think yall are getting snow soon, makes ya shiver, just at the thought. Do enjoy your blog, is so neat to read bout folks who are living what you dream of. Thank You! Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gracie! I like the fish too. I sometimes get stuck feeding them and come up with something that needs done so I run outside and forget the blog. If you can believe it. It sleeted here today. UGH. Nothing serious just a kick in the pants from nature saying I'm here.

    ReplyDelete